McKee House at Churchill Woods
The McKee House at Churchill Woods Forest Preserve in Glen Ellyn was constructed by the Works Progress Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1936. The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County used this building as its headquarters beginning in 1936 until 1982. It also served as home to the District's executive director. It became a guard house in 1996, and it has been vacant since 2002.
In February 2013, the Board re-allocated funds for demolishing the McKee House toward an architectural study. In June 2013, the Board approved a contract with an architectural consultant to review the condition of the building and develop cost estimates for renovation of the structure for public use.
A public meeting was held on Aug. 21, 2013 at the Lake Ellyn Boathouse in Glen Ellyn to review the existing condition of the house and gather public input on the potential future use and funding for the house. A copy of the presentation is available here.
On Nov. 19, 2013 the architectural consultant presented their architectural report to the Board of Commissioners. The report includes several options for re-use of the building based on input gathered at the Aug. 21, 2013 public meeting. The costs to stabilize the building to full adaptive re-use for assembly-type uses range from $230,969 for stabilization to $2,274,681 for public use of all floors of the building. A copy of the final report is available here.
Currently, there are no sufficient Forest Preserve District funds allocated to the McKee House to pursue any of the options presented.