In 1919, Francis Stuyvesant Peabody commissioned renowned Chicago architect Benjamin Marshall to design the Tudor Revival-style mansion known today as Mayslake Hall. The hall magnified the medieval traditions of the early 16th-century English design that descended from the Tudors.
After his death in 1922, Peabody’s family sold the estate to the Franciscan Province of the Sacred Heart, Order of Friars Minor, and the hall became a retreat house. Over time, the order began selling sections of the estate, selling its last remaining acres, including Mayslake Hall and a friary and chapel, to the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County in 1993.
Today, the Forest Preserve District is working to restore Mayslake Hall, now a registered national historic landmark, and to establish it as a cultural and educational center. The hall currently serves as a venue for architectural tours, lectures, and artistic performances, which take place throughout the year. Sections of the hall are also available on a limited basis for private functions; for rental information, contact the Mayslake Peabody Estate events coordinator at (630) 206-9569 or firstname.lastname@example.org.